Sunday 10 May 2015

The Search for Perch

For many anglers, grabbing a few hours here and there is the best we can do to fit in a little fishing between the routines of everyday life, and it really helps if you have a supporting wife or partner who understands that you need your fishing fix!

Last monday, having completed a few simple chores, I decided it was time to pick up a lure rod and spend a few hours on some stretches of a nearby canal.

It's a place that I'm quite familiar with, and one which always seems to surprise me with an unexpected catch. 


Leave the kitchen sink at home and travel light

Perch were my intended species, although I do look at all fish as being predators and opportunists in their own way, having previously caught bream and rudd on lures and seen eels smashing jerkbaits and soft plastics. For me, lure fishing is one of the most exciting and rewarding ways to catch fish.

I decided to start off using a classic plain old silver spinnnerThe simplicity of going out with a rod and the most essential tackle means that one can cover a lot of ground. Several hours later, I had covered a few miles with no fish to show for it.

The fish that did show themselves were ones that chased the spinner right to the rod tip, only to turn away at the last second, probably laughing to themselves and telling the rest of the shoal not to bother!


Don't ignore any features where predators could be hiding


I tried my luck on every feature I came across. From overhanging trees to canal boats and everything else in between but the perch were still playing hard to get. Several snags and spinner changes later, I reached a promising looking spot where I found myself standing between two bridges. This was the only cover for some time, so I was hoping any perch in the area are likely to be hiding in this area. 

After a couple of casts all I managed to bank was some weed. I then decided to cast the spinner right on the edge of the bank I was fishing. The grass was overgrown on this bank and it was overhanging the margin. 

After a few turns of the reel, that long awaited bite finally came and I was rewarded with a beautifully marked perch. A feisty little fighter that shook its head violently trying to dislodge the spinner. Finally I found happiness again!


Hard work eventually pays off

As any angler knows, the harder you work to catch a fish, the more rewarded you feel once you land one. But the reward quickly turns to an addiction so you find yourself craving another bite. That perch triggered the itch for another bite, so the casting marathon began. 

It was now heading towards evening and that magical perch hour at dusk so I opted change tactics and headed back where I came from. This time I would try drop shotting with a small fry like soft plastic lure. 

It always amazes me how a simple change in tactics can change your luck. The perch seemed to respond well to the change in method. Maybe it was just their feeding time, maybe I was now casting in the right place. I didn't really question myself, I just knew it was time for a change and it seemed to pay off nicely. 


A little stumpy tailed perch on the drop shot

It was soon time to pack up, and after several "last casts" I had to call it a day. All in all, it was another enjoyable few hours spent exploring the waterways in search of stripeys.

I urge anyone who is considering to pick up a lure rod not to hesitate. It's a very enjoyable way to fish, especially if you are pressed for time and don't like to sit in one place for hours on end waiting for a bite.

For a great range of lure fishing tackle and sound advice on how to use it, we can highly recommend contacting Fishing Hut

©The Fishing Bug 2015 - Samim Abbas

No comments:

Post a Comment